They talked a lot it seems about their mutual great-grandmother Julia Christiana Boss later Winter then Bird. I have a bit of a fascination with this part of the family due to the lashings of scandal that make life interesting. In any case I now have the following tidbits:
- Julia was, according to our cousin, born in Australian waters and as such was an Australian Citizen. Now this is something I have been having trouble proving, she is not listed as one of the births on the Commodore Perry.
- The family was questioned as enemy aliens during WWI. As such I really hope I can find the file!
- Julia was a staunch Nazi supporter. This I already knew, Dad has a Nazi pin tucked away in his box of family bits that belonged to Julia. We can only be glad that she died in '37 given the rest of the family's stance on the matter.
- Julia owned a lot of property around town. It will be interesting I think to start looking at land records, Dad is keen to map out exactly who owned what so it looks like another father-daughter history project is in the works (we seem to do a lot of those)
- Julia was not a very nice person. Ok so this is a cleaned up version of how she is generally described by the family. Let's just say I am yet to hear anything complementary. Although the Nazi thing is kind of a clue there.